SENIOR LABORATORY SCIENTIST (Clinical Microbiology)
Full-time 40 hours per week | Permanent
Salary: £24,000 – £30,000 per annum
This is a great opportunity to work in our Clinical Microbiology department.
A n independent veterinary diagnostic laboratory, are dedicated to the improvement of animal health through direct support of veterinary practices in the UK and worldwide. We have been delivering service for over 30 years.
What you will be doing
- Office duties: accurately booking submissions into the LIMS; linking requests; handling calls from/to clients, colleagues, other laboratories, veterinary and nursing staff;; preparing completed documentation/samples for those referred to other laboratories.
- Laboratory duties: Plate reading and identification of bacteria; routine culture and sensitivity testing; dermatophyte culture and microscopic examination for mites/ringworm; faeces examination, including culture, worm egg count and microscopy; urine microscopy and biochemical analysis; antibiotic sensitivity testing and further microbiological tests as required.
- Operation of Vitek Instruments and interpretation of results.
- Check and release results to clients.
- Ensures equipment they are using or responsible for is safe for use, appropriately maintained and any required daily monitoring records are accurate and up to date.
- Monitors the stocks of media and consumables that they use and their correct storage, as required.
- In general, responsibility for delivering assigned areas of work, liaising with the Section Head and colleagues as necessary, but working as integral part of the laboratory team to execute the efficient operation of the laboratory.
- Help to train junior members of staff in laboratory processes.
- Contribute to the continual improvement of our processes and quality systems by identifying areas that are opportunities for improvement.
Working for us
- 31 days paid holiday (including bank holidays)
- Extra holidays for long service
- ‘Shout Out’ employee recognition scheme
- Life assurance benefit
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Free on-site parking and Wi-Fi
- A 24/7 confidential employee assistance programme – offering a range of support services to help you to resolve difficulties in your home-life
- Savings related Share option plan
- Christmas hampers
- Eye-sight vouchers for VDU users
- Enhanced Company pension scheme
Who we are looking for
- ‘A’ Level Sciences minimum.
- Excellent working knowledge of microbiology techniques and equipment used in a microbiology lab
- The ability to work independently and be able to quickly get up to speed in a veterinary environment
- Demonstrates a good understanding of the important elements of laboratory diagnostic testing
- Be able to follow standard operating procedures and work to quality standards.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal.