Job Type: Equine Veterinary Surgeon
Salary: £35,000 to £45,000+ pa DOE
Hours: Full or Part Time Hours.
Location: Newport, Isle of Wight
Job ref: 587
Here at Vetfinders we are helping practices find their next hire. This independent practice has a growing case load and has a new opportunity for an Equine Veterinary Surgeon to join their team.
If you are looking to work for a practice that is going places and where you will be valued, supported and encouraged to achieve your professional goals then come and join this proudly independent 100% Equine Practice in Newport, Isle of Wight.
· Excellent work/life balance,
· 4.5 days a week, 8.30am to 5.30pm
· 1:4 on call – weeknights and weekends
· Part-time hours considered.
· Full Drivers Licence required
You will be part of the ambulatory team supporting the equine community on the isle of Wight. Initially no extra responsibilities but room to take more if desired.
Visits are booked 8.30-17.30. High level of ambulatory care, but no hospital facilities, so no inpatient duties required. The clinics facilities including stocks, ménage, trot up available for day cases at livery yard as required.
Also Supporting specialists who travel to the island for surgical or medical work ups if required.
Ideally 2 years in equine practice in UK. Confident in general equine practice and able to work up lameness fully single handed. Advise always available, but clinical ability to perform blocks would be needed.
Partnership prospects for right candidate.
- VDS cover included
- £1500 CPD allowance, plus in house CPD and further study towards a certificate supported and encouraged.
- 3-, 4- or 4.5-day working week, additional day off after a weekend on call.
- 25 days holiday per annum (if full time) plus bank holidays.
- Comprehensive private medical plan,
- Company van,
- surface-pro laptop
- Uniform provided.
- Bonus for every OOH call.
- Quiet OOH covering small geographical area.
We a 100% equine, ambulatory practice. We were originally a branch of the Liphook Equine Hospital, which was purchased 2012. We have an office based centrally in Newport with fantastic support staff. We don’t have a clinic but have stocks, hard trot up and ménage at local livery yard when required.
Caseload are mainly pleasure horses and sport horses, with some FEI showjumpers, BE horses competing at CCI4* as well as over 120 donkeys at the IOW Donkey Sanctuary.
Current team are 2 certificate holders, each with over 16 years’ experience in equine practice and one new graduate.
What make them different…?
- Very friendly independent practice with a close-knit team. We cover a very small geographical area compared to most practices and so there is much less time spent driving and more doing the work we enjoy! This means we give high quality care to patients, whilst ensuring an excellent work/life balance.
- The island measures 23 miles by 12 miles meaning short journeys between calls and out of hours leaving time to take advantage of the amazing outdoor pursuits the island has to offer riding, sailing, windsurfing, cycling…. Over half the island is an area of outstanding natural beauty and it’s only 2 hours from London.
- The practice continues to invest in both staff and equipment with a generous CPD allowance and modern equipment including digital ultrasound, fully battery powered DR x-ray system, endoscope, gastroscope, modern dental tools etc.
- We retain very close ties with Liphook and their European specialists visit regularly for referral opinions or surgeries allowing you to stay involved in referral work ups.
Want makes you stand out?
- We recognise the need for there to be more support, mentorship and practical learning experiences within the job for first opinion vets. Many vets would like to obtain a certificate but don’t want to stop being a first opinion vet to return to academia for a residency, or are in such a busy job that studying is out of the question whilst still having a work/life balance.
- We like to be able to give both a great work/life balance and an opportunity to further your career. The practice is a recognised VetGDP training practice and we want to continue offering that style of mentorship to more senior vets wanting to progress further. This includes an opportunity to spend up to 10 days / year seeing practice at Liphook equine hospital, shadowing their specialists to help gain the practical experience needed to compliment increasing knowledge
- We value our staff and believe that the best care is given by vets that are happy in their work, so package can be tailored to suit individual’s needs.
- Nominated for the practice of the year AND vet of the year awards in the Petplan Veterinary Awards every year from 2013 -2021
- Shortlisted for the final of eight practices for the National Veterinary Award for staff recognition in 2018
This is a chance to be involved in a growing independent practice surrounded by a motivated supportive team helping you to do the work you trained to do
Be 1st … Apply now!
Supporting Blue Cross. ‘A dream job for you, a Blue Cross Nurse paid for too.’
Please Note: When it come to your privacy, at VetFinders – we take it seriously.
All you need to know is that when you apply, we will process your details with the utmost care, we pass on your application for the clients review for the vacancy you have applied for only. We may contact you via telephone/text/email in regards to the vacancy, but your data is held and processed in accordance of your application for the vacancy, in terms of recruitment fulfilment.
If you have any pre-application questions, please contact us first, just let us know the job reference.
Thanks, and good luck, VetFinders.